Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Ignorance

Last Friday night we had a great night of fellowship, testimony, cookies, and music. I love hearing other women's stories of how God comes in and shows off, how he places things in our lives to point us towards the things he wants us to pursue. He allows us to go down different paths, he opens and closes doors. Often during that time we are wandering around wondering what God is up to and how he is working and what it is going to look like when he is done.

While its chaos in the midst to us, it is such a beautiful thing. Several years ago when we were living in Colorado we had an organization come to our church that helped young girls who were being sold into slavery. Today in 2015 slavery is alive and well, it doesn't matter your race, age, economic status, it can happen to anyone any where, and right down the road.

I have a friend who works with Rescue Houston, they call these young girls who are being used for what their bodies can offer, they have no hope, they have no reason to hope yet, the goal of this organization is to give them hope. The thing is, this problem isn't just happening in India, Africa, its happening right across town, to people your children or grand children are going to school with. I say this because it was such a Face Palm moment for me. one of those ANGELA you need to wake up and realize you don't just live in Mayberry any more where the worst thing that happens is running into someone's mailbox, or your friends smoking weed in the corn field down the road, or a big party down by the lake where everyone may or may not be drinking.

I got home and told my hubs about this startling statistics, you know the ones that stick with you, unless your a sleep deprived mom, the numbers tend to leave your brain but you know there are sweet young girls out there who desperately need our help. A few days later we were talking with a few other people, these statistics that were very fresh on his brain came out, because it is a truth and a reality we need to share, which had the same affect on them as it did me. Except that one of their reactions wasn't action, it was the desire to shy away, to plead ignorance. I'm sorry but we cannot take a stand on abortion, gay marriage, alcohol, drugs, shootings, and bury our heads in the sand when thousands of young girls, in desperate situations are finding themselves being sold, because they are young girls?!?!

I don't want to know these things happen, but I NEED to know they happen, God calls us to seek and love the lost, the hurting, those who are desperate to find the hope we have in Jesus. I need to know that there are organizations out there seeking to help these young ladies, that I can support. I need to know about it so I can pray for them, so I can listen to that sweet movement of the Holy Spirit to act. If I deny that it exists I'm not only hurting myself and the little people entrusted to me, I'm hurting those that need Jesus the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment