Saturday, January 24, 2015

Running Buddy

I run now...that is still weird to think/say. I have heard the expression countless times about how life is like a race, 5k, sprint, marathon, you name it.


I'd say life is like a marathon, from what I know about them from being married to a marathoner. Here's why...
You see a marathon, like life has many different stages. First you start your marathon journey by training...growing up...Then you have the few days prior to the race where you prepare your body and your brain for the upcoming miles, you rest, you take away the miles so your body rebuilds...your young adult life...Next the race, in the beginning of the race you often wonder WHY AM I RUNNING?? how much further do I have? Am I really ready for this? Did I train enough? Am I a good enough runner? ...again id say young adult life...
Then you get comfortable you find your groove, you find your pace group and you start feeling like you can do this. you know this season in life where you start getting the hang of things, learning from mistakes, kids chill out for a while, find a career you enjoy, good friends...
Next comes the wall, your body literally wants to stop, you think in your brain, there is NO possible way for me to take another step forward let alone finish this race. This is just not going to happen....mid life crisis (need I say more)
Then you blast through  that wall, you get fuel on board, you find your focus, that drive that was hiding comes out and you find the perseverance to push yourself forward to your goal. I'm going to lump the last part of life in here..


Last but not least Finishing...oh man can you fathom you have come 25 miles you see that GLORIOUS 26 mile marker and KNOW you got this...all you have is .2 miles. .2 that's it. holy cow 26 miles I've ran 26 miles. There is a beautiful thing that happens between 26 and the finish line that's my favorite place to be well almost my favorite...(technically its where families are reunited but i'll get there) You see as you are waiting to witness your loved one cross the finish line you see all these people who have just overcome, conquered themselves, learned something powerful, you see raw, real, perseverance. You see first timers all the way to seasoned veterans who are driven to conquer that small voice that tells them they cant. I imagine that is how life is as you age, that as you look back you see all that you accomplished, all that you have overcome, the self doubt, the difficult times but the sweet moments of the conquered hills and miles that have passed. After you finish you get to meet up with those who love you and have come out to cheer you on, there are lots of tears here, lots of joy...
                                       
 the other thing is, is your running buddy, oh I couldn't do it without my run buddy...we have all been on those runs alone where its so hard to keep moving forward....my run buddy keeps me accountable, she keeps me going when I want to stop because every muscle in my legs hurt. The cool thing about having a run buddy in the middle of the marathon especially when you hit your wall is they keep you grounded, they remind you that you can keep going, that you have what it takes all you have to do is get some fuel and refocus.


I love my run buddies, the ones that run with me, the ones that are just living life alongside me, encouraging me, helping me become a better mom and wife, a better follower of Jesus, oh my run buddies, I'm so grateful for God for putting them in my life.


Another reason I Love these run buddies we have alongside us...last week we had our youngest little boy in church with us and we also took him to our sunday school class, instead of these sweet Jesus loving people being annoyed that our rambunctious 2 year old was in there they embraced him, loved on him, played with him, sat with him, oh it was such a sweet time, it blessed my heart. I couldn't do it without these friends.


Hebrews 12:1-3
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinner, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment